The Basilia Phalanstère was located at 1016 Madison Ave, Central Business District, in Sidume, of Pentapolis of the Valley. It is six floors high, with a basement to make seven; and worth $32 million with taxes at about $80,000, for 93,300 square feet with elevators. The building had been zoned for commercial and residential usage. From outside the building looked elegant and stately, a large stone and brick home amidst the concrete of Sidume and its buildings. To Brian McCloud it looked like something that belonged closer to the opulence of Biell than so near the economic center of The Valley.
Blithedale built the mansion in 1862, at the foot of the ultramarine Acadian Mountains, a sprawling granite structure; the land had been bought in the early 1850s. Throughout time The Basilia was reconstructed and remodeled primarily in 1865 thru 1914, to include four fort-like towers shooting out from its sides and amongst the steel skyscrapers, like octopus tentacles around glass fish. It contains 35 apartments, 9 studios, 9 duplex penthouses, museum, business, and dining facilities; and can house up to 1620 people at any given moment. The building’s main door was large steel arches, framed by a single stone arch that read, “O to che vieni doloroso.”
The structure was composed of three major parts: a central part and two lateral wings. The central wing houses libraries, offices, meeting rooms, studies, and a ballroom. The left wing is for labor and noisy activities, such as carpentry or food preparation; as well as dorms for Erotes. The right wing is where most member penthouses were. The basement housed some of the organization’s more monetarily expensive acquisitions.
The 1914 Green-Space Initiative preserved its unique architecture, for more modernity’s sake. With the mass production of the automobile, increasing traffic, demolition of historic buildings, commercial encroachment into historic neighborhoods, and the loss of open space led to the beginning of grass roots preservation efforts. Almost immediately residents, business people, and government officials worked cooperatively to preserve, enhance, and revitalize the eastern side of Wuthering Canal; they successfully restored numerous village buildings, the establishment of a historic preservation district. Interiors and features were as modern as could be afforded.